News: We are avid fans of RPG, MMOs, and Space related games. However the occassion FPS is always a "blast".

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Video cards  (Read 2094 times)

Chrysocyon_ZERO

• Stammering Tongue
    • View Profile
Video cards
« on: October 30, 2005, 12:49:59 PM »
I don't have a video card on my home PC, only an on- board video card with no cutting edge capabilities, and i'm thinking about installing a ATI Radeon 9250 AGP 128 mb. Is that video card sufficient to support the game requirements? Is there a grat diference between that kind of video card and the 256 mb ones?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 12:53:49 PM by Chrysocyon_ZERO »
The warhammer

Admiral Rexam

• [MwM] Member
  • Fast Talker
  • I.S.S. Chimera (Moros Class Dreadnaught)
    • View Profile
Re: Video cards
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 02:21:10 PM »
The ATI Radeon 9250 will run freelancer. The only difference between the 128mb and 256mb cards is the memory.

I.S.S. Chimera - Moros Class Gallente Tier I Dreadnaught
The Forsaken Empire <F-E> (Alliance)
Fleet Commander, Evotech [EVOTE] (Corporation)
Admiral, Security Division

[MwM] Heiraxes

• [MwM] Member
  • Stammering Tongue
  • The Purple Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 06:06:39 PM »
Actually Fayt.. you are not quite correct here.. There is quite a difference in Video Cards when you have a larger onboard RAM.. The smallest of which is Graphics Processing Speed.  Also Chrysocyon, the ATI Raedon is a Superb Video Chipset, but perhaps you would be better of with a more recent version of the Chipset than a 9250. 128 Mb ram is, however, quite fine.

The only other thing is that the Greatest and Fastest Chipset in the World is not going to do you any good unless:

1. The card is manufactured by a reputable firm like ASUS, A-Open or Sapphire.
2. The Mainboard in you PC will support it. E.G: there is ABSOULTELY no use in bying an 8X AGP Card if you board either (a) Doesn't have an AGP slot, or (b) doesn't support AGP 8X Standard.

Before you go ahead and purchase a new Display Adapter I would suggest that you do LOTS of research on the various Brands/Chipsets available and learn the full capabilities of youe PCB, otherwise you may end up with either an expensive piece of junk, or, a very good card that you simply cannot use.

One final note.. DO NOT always believe what the guy in you favorite Computer Outlet tells you about ANY brand of Display Adaptor, they are payed to sell the brand they stock and are most times, unwilling to discuss other brands or simply tell you they are no good/the brand they sell is better, and this is not always the case.
[MwM] Heiraxes

Special Consul to the Council, Court Jester & Keeper of 'RATSY'

Admiral Rexam

• [MwM] Member
  • Fast Talker
  • I.S.S. Chimera (Moros Class Dreadnaught)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 09:56:49 AM »
hehe Heiraxes, I see you know your way around the graphics cards.

I.S.S. Chimera - Moros Class Gallente Tier I Dreadnaught
The Forsaken Empire <F-E> (Alliance)
Fleet Commander, Evotech [EVOTE] (Corporation)
Admiral, Security Division

[MwM] Heiraxes

• [MwM] Member
  • Stammering Tongue
  • The Purple Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 06:09:42 AM »
HeHe bloody nothing..
If you are going to give someone advice then at least you should give them the full story... AND the correct one..

Oh.. and BTW

Tech Work is my HOBBY.. That means it's much more important than just a job, which by the way, I do actually do on occaision.. Tech Jobs that is.
[MwM] Heiraxes

Special Consul to the Council, Court Jester & Keeper of 'RATSY'

Chrysocyon_ZERO

• Stammering Tongue
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 04:32:50 AM »
Well, i'm talking about an asus ATI radeon 9250, 128 mb. I do have an motherbard that suports it - one free AGP slot, 8X, FSB 333, 512 mb ram, chipset AMD athlon XP 2,4 Gh. That's fully compatible with my computer motherboard, but i wasn't sure about the power it would give to me, to manage graphical aplications. I know i don't have an up to date computer, but i'm not going to make any big updates right now, because i have other priorities - for example, my wife is preagnant, and is about to have our third child, so we are directing our efforts in other direction right now, but i also didn't wanted to buy an old video card, that wouldn't satisfy my expectations. Now i can see that won't happen.
The warhammer

[MwM]_Archer

• [MwM] Member
  • Whispering Bystander
  • Wildcards TC, SA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 06:21:28 PM »
Congrats Chrysocyon, and im glad to see someone else who has there priorities in line.  (Im still playing with a Win 98 sys)   LOL  8*)

[MwM] DJ Jazz

• [MwM] Member
  • Whispering Bystander
  • !! TigerBunny !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 06:08:59 AM »
Radeon 9250 will do more than fine for Freelancer. I use 9000 and can still keep up even with the newer games. I think you've made a good decission. Oh, one reminder btw, Radeon cards with some motherboards can act funny and the problem lies in the agp. f.e. the PC can show black screen after 15min of playing a game at a high resolution and also VPU recovery will be frequently present as well. I do not know how to solve this problem and also skilled programers didn't had a clue... But it helps if you lower your agp and don't push your games over 1200*1024 resolution. Otherwise, the card is great - I have no probles, none what so ever.

[MC] DJ Jazz
[MwM] DJ Jazz