News: Check out the [MwM] Resources Directory thread in the General Discussion forum. It contains information about our Team Speak, and all of our various sites & resources.

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: September 11, 2017 - Weekly Maintenance and Updates Report  (Read 84 times)

[MwM] LifesaverM

• [MwM] Clan Leader
  • Fast Talker
  • [MwM] Clan Leader
    • View Profile
September 11, 2017 - Weekly Maintenance and Updates Report
« on: September 11, 2017, 09:20:29 AM »
Greetings Midnight Wurmians,

This is your weekly maintenance and updates report [server patch notes] for the week of Monday, September 11th, 2017.

NEW FEATURES, MODS, FUNCTIONALITY, ETC.:

New Mods & Updates:

New Content!!!: So as many of you know I have been working for some time making sense of the game code and coding new material for us to enjoy. We are at a place now where the first Phase is ready for release and over the next several weeks each week you will be getting new content. The first wave is a new twist on existing content aka additional textures and options. The next wave which I hope will be ready in about a month will feature completely new content not found ANYWHERE else. So onward! This week I am releasing 14 additional banner options. What I've done is make the tall banners for all 4 of the major kingdoms craftable and added all of WO's PMKs (player made kingdoms) tall banners. So just like last week's release of the additional banners: To craft them you'll see them under the flags category in your crafting recipes book (Press N). Enjoy! Now you no longer have to display the flags & banners everyone else has.

This is what you have to look forward to for our current release cycle: Next week will introduce additional tents (a number of the PMKs didn't have custom tents). Then we'll see the tabards, and finally wagons. If all goes well since next week will be a smaller release I may combine tents and tabards in the same release. Anyhow for the next several weeks you will continue to be enjoying new content. Here is an overview of what the additional options look like since many of you will not be familiar with the other kingdoms. In the example materials village in Twilight all the flags and banners are on display so you can see them up close. Lastly, we are working on new art that is specific to the "Realm of the Celestial Paladins" it will be some time before this gets released and will be released separate from everything else being released. But we will let you know when its coming. The art will be released in the form of a flag, banner, tall banner, wagon, tabard and more.

Mission Hints: To aid in the completion of the missions for the gods we have installed a new mod. This mod makes tracking an even more useful skill (and you do gain skill by using it). If you perform the tracking action on a tile it will display hints as to the location of the mission targets. This functions similar to prospecting, finding water tiles, and locate soul. This is particularly helpful for the cut down missions so you don't have to chop down 30 trees to find the right one, or the traitor missions.

In addition this mod has allowed us to really fine tune the frequency, number, and types of missions that spawn. We will continue to tweak this over the next couple weeks to get it just the way we'd like for our environment.

*No Updated Mods this week.

Tweaks and Adjustments:

Web Map Viewer - We released a new web map viewer engine last month. A reminder our map URL has not changed. http://gs1.mwmgamers.org/map/ However, some folks may not like this new map so I've leaving the old viewer tool online. The URL for the old map style is: http://gs1.mwmgamers.org/oldmap/ The old map is updated once per RL calendar day. I plan to continue to let it run indefinitely since at this point its now using minimal resources. If I see it gets no use for an extended period of time I would consider shutting it down then.

Weaponsmithing I accidentally goofed up the skill rate gains of weaponsmithing last week it has been restored to it previous setting.

IN THE PIPELINE:
Currently we have a number of projects in the pipeline but here's some details on what is close to breaking the surface and becoming a reality within the next 30 days.

More Potables: A mod author this past week released a mod that will save me coding work. One of the things I've had on the roadmap is making some more things be plantable in the planters. Additionally this is a big help for long term development because I plan to introduce new plants and some new recipes! To quote a favorite Star Trek: Voyager quote of mine by Capt. Janeway: "There be COFFEE in that nebula!" I love tea but the server requires coffee plain and simple haha. So anyhow I've moved this mod to the test server to begin working with it and running it through the paces. Except this to be released if all goes well by month's end.

Voting Rewards: Within the next few weeks we hope to release a new web control panel on our site. What it can do from a player point of view will not be a lot initially but will continue to gain features as we go. The initial feature that will be released is the ability to receive a reward for voting for our server to the tune of 10 copper per day. While that isn't a lot by itself that can add up to nearly 3 silver over the course of the entire month! You can claim this reward on any of your characters each day, and of course only 1 reward per day. Upon receiving your reward it will display your bank balance so its a great way to see what you have if you aren't near a deed token. Also information about the villages will be available and some basic info about your toons. Future planned features is the ability to check your live bank balance, details about each of your characters, and more.

A new spell!: I'm removing the status updates on this project until its closer to reality. Status: On hold

Admin Phase 2: 8/14 Update - A few weeks ago we partnered with another developer on this project so that other server operators will be able to take advantage of project. We've already laid out a development plan and have begun work. 

GENERAL HOUSEKEEPING ITEMS, RAMBLINGS, ETC.:
MONTHLY RAFFLE: As you should all know as a thank-you for voting for our server https://wurm-unlimited.com/server/2668/ each month I give out a prize to a luck voter. The winner is announced here after the first maintenance of the new month. We are well into our goal of hitting 200 votes this month. Rock on folks!

Now that we have a lot more activity going on I'm also reintroducing 2 categories so that things aren't dominated. The everyone category and the 15 votes and up category. Once the 15+ winner is selected the are then excluded from the everyone category for that month.

PLAYER SURVEY: We are at a stage of rapid development cycle, we are seeing an influx of new players both from discovering us for the first time, and returning players. Some of this is the result of 2 very well known community server operators shutting down this month. We plan to be around for YEARS, and while I know others make this claim this server was setup in such a way to ensure its longevity. The survey is now closed and I want to thank everyone (almost 30 responses) who took the time to voice their opinions. We'll be going over this data in the coming weeks. Thank-you rewards for participation should be handed out over the course of this next week.

GM MERCHANT: - For September we are featuring "Ointment of Stonecutting". With all the crazy construction projects everyone is doing this would be perfect timing, and I have something exciting planned for the next 3 months already! These potions normally require troll king blood and source salt to be crafted thus are extremely rare. Improving armor smithing products using a tool that has been Imbued by the oil will be easier. Note: Power of the effect will wear down slowly, it is not permanent. Activate the potion and right-click tool you want to imbue. Select "Alchemy > Imbue" from the menu. Examine the imbued tool to see what effect (ranging to 100) does the imbue have. Due to the rarity of these they will be offered for 5s a piece for 90ql and 2.5s for 50ql. Please 2 potions of each per player buy limit. All other items still remaining on the merchant from previous specials have no buy limits.

FAQs Update: Our Frequently Asked Questions page aka our rules has been updated. An entry was added on the subject of Sandstone Veins. Folks that have been around a bit know we have been manually adjusting the quantity of these veins when folks find them since their release. Due to their commonality being greater than anticipated we are continuing the program but are now capping random re-rolls to 5 thousand hits per vein. If you find a vein you can open a support ticket and ask that it be re-rolled by a member of our GM team and you'll receive between 100 and 5,000 hits.

COMMUNITY ASSISTANTS: Applications for additional community assistants are still open. The form can be found here: https://goo.gl/forms/aO88EqM80cYVwW9C3
This is a volunteer position and can be done while on your regular toon, doing your own things. No special character is required for this position. The short description of the position is a person who assists the community by monitoring the CA HELP and Freedom chat channels. They provide answers to questions to the best of their ability about the game mechanics and the community. Provide links to relevant wiki pages, or forum posts as relevant. Assist the Game Masters with basic player support tasks as able/willing, and responds to or adds notes to support tickets within their scope. At this moment my thoughts are I'm looking for 1 or 2 more individuals in either the Eastern Europe / Oceanic region or the Americas region. However anyone should feel free to apply.

I would like to take this opportunity to welcome Xellos to the CA Team. He is located in Europe and will help provide additional coverage to our growing community!

Governor's Flagship: Many of you have seen the bluish shining caravel that sits on the Northern dock of Twilight. I'm pleased to say its more than just a decoration. If you happen to see this big glimmering vessel pass by you, PM Gmlife. Why you ask? Because this means a special unannounced mini-event is running. Those that notice and PM me while I'm sailing around in the ship will receive a prize. Well I live in land so... that means I will get excluded!?! Nope you sure aren't. One of the nice things about GM mode is ships...well they aren't just for water to us. Which means you may just see the flagship sailing along randomly around the map, or along a highway, going up a mountain, or on the open water. So keep your eyes a lookin' as you never know when you might see me "floating" around.  :o 8) ;D

RL/OTHER: Folks know I don't make a big deal about server donations but I wanted to throw out there that we had a record number of donations this past month. It sincerely is appreciated and makes me want to work even harder for you. I have never released this information before because again I don't make a big deal about this subject but someone had come to me with a valid point. They said they have no problem donating if there is a valid need but many of the servers out there have very small expenses and they felt that the badgering of players to donate was money grubbing. They went on to say that they do not feel comfortable donating to a server that doesn't state what their expenses actually are. I thought this was as I say a valid point, and since our server will not go boom if we don't have enough donations I've never felt it was necessary to share this information. I also do not support the practice of constantly bothering people on the subject. That said our monthly expenses are approximately $180 USD per month, and we received $125 last month. This cost may seem high but we have a high caliber of dedicated resources and our hardware is capable of supporting 3-4 servers to allow for our future growth. We also run our test server from this box to aid us ensuring once things get to our main server they are tested and working as intended. I will place this info in some permanent place so if folks want the information its available. Dedicated hardware provides us advantages of having total control over our environment, unlike just "renting" a server instance.

I also want to assure folks that money matters are taken very seriously which is why donations go directly to our service provider and not someone's pocket. If we take in excess funds in a month it will simply be a credit on our account for another month.

FUN FACT: There are currently 40+ unicorns and 662 scorps on the server.

As always if you need support always feel free to open a support ticket in world so that your GM team can track your request and respond in a timely manner.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:24:21 AM by [MwM] LifesaverM »
[MwM] LifesaverM
Clan Leader & Grand Pumba of Peachiness
--=Light for the Lost=--
Midnight Wurm: Gmlife (GM), Maintenance (GM), Lifesaverm, Litha