News: In MwM's currently officially supports Rust and Wurm Unlimited.

Login  |  Register

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Marketplace / Re: WTB Mine Support Beams
« Last post by DouganIronfist on August 15, 2017, 09:23:31 PM »
Still looking to buy 100 more mine support beams!  Message me in game in you want to make them thanks!

- Dougan Ironfist
Greetings Midnight Wurmians,

This is your weekly maintenance and updates report [server patch notes] for the week of Monday, August 14th, 2017.

NEW FEATURES, MODS, FUNCTIONALITY, ETC.:

New Mods & Updates:

No New Mods this week.

No Updated Mods this week.

Tweaks and Adjustments:

Tree Spread - Trees and bushes have always spread like rabbits and I dare say even close to warranting tribble classification on our server. The rate has never been adjusted we've run it at the default rate. I have slowed the spread rate slightly to make them more balanced and sensible. This wasn't a significant adjustment and it should be noted that this change does not effect tree/bush growth rates only the spread (seeding) rate. Going to monitor this over the next two weeks and review. 8/14 Update - Current spread is looking a lot better at the tweaked rate. This week I'm slowing it again just slightly, just to collect more data. I have a feeling the rate we've used this past week will be right choice but just want to see.

Web Map Viewer - The map viewer we use on our website as a project was abandoned quite some time ago when the developer went off the grid. It's been a full year now. This has presented issues as new content is developed for the game the code for this tool is not in step. For example after the new crops, and paving types were added they appeared as black dots on the map. Another developer kindly stepped in to make some necessary code changes to get it up to speed but there is no guarantee this project will receive any further attention. While Jonneh developed a great tool for the community and this is used by almost every major server operator out there with a few exceptions I feel there needs to be a next step. There are a few other map options but they are poor choices in my opinion. One of my frustrations has always been I wand more information display options. The developer we are working with on the Admin Project has developed a new tool from the ground up and I'm very excited about it. We've been working with and testing this new application for several weeks and are at a stage where I'm pleased to now announce it is coming very soon and ready to leave its beta state. I will have more to report on this with the 8/21 Update Report.

For now here's a sneak preview: The preview isn't going to show you what the new tool is fully capable or the tooltip display but is a good teaser.

Bank Update: A reminder: You can now expand your default 5 slot bank to up to 20 slots. Upgrades can be obtained from http://wurm.mwmgamers.com/store.html, all funds generated from these upgrades automatically go to our server upkeep fund.

IN THE PIPELINE:
Currently we have a number of projects in the pipeline but here's some details on what is close to breaking the surface and becoming a reality within the next 30 days.

A new spell!: I'm removing the status updates on this project until its closer to reality.

Admin Phase 2: 8/14 Update - A few weeks ago we partnered with another developer on this project so that other server operators will be able to take advantage of project. We've already laid out a development plan and have begun work.

Mission Hints: I've begun experimenting with a mod that can help make the locating of the missions' targets a bit easier such as the 'traitors', or say that 1 tree a god wants gone. This also gives us significant controls over how the missions are generated, types, and quite a bit more. I currently have this on the test server, and will report as testing progresses if we are moving forward with it or not. Feedback on this mod would be appreciated. 8/14 Update - Testing has gone well, still have some more to do but this mod also gives us a bit more control over the generation of missions which I'm very interested it. Should have more to report on by next week.

Paving Tweak: The paving tweak mod received very little support and therefore I have dropped it from the pipeline.

Item Move Mod: We experimented with a few mods over the course of time that helped with the moving if items to and from bulk storage containers. Specifically dealing with the issue if bypassing your personal carry weight when transferring items from container to container directly. I've been unimpressed with such offerings in the past and tested them as problematic. However, a trusted modder has released a new mod that is intelligently coded to prevent the issues others have had. It introduces a new action which makes the mod less likely to break when game updates happen. This mod is very new but I'm liking the coding methods. 8/14 Update - Testing of this mod has gone VERY well. Couple more things to poke at and I'm planning to release this mod to our live server next week.

GENERAL HOUSEKEEPING ITEMS, RAMBLINGS, ETC.:
MONTHLY RAFFLE: As you should all know as a thank-you for voting for our server https://wurm-unlimited.com/server/2668/ each month I give out a prize to a luck voter. The winner is announced here after the first maintenance of the new month.

GM MERCHANT: - July's limited supply of garden gnomes are still available for 1 silver there are about 10 remaining. No buy limit for the remaining gnomes. For August we are featuring "Oil of the Weapon Smith". These potions normally require red dragon blood and source salt to be crafted thus are extremely rare. Improving weapon smithing products using a tool that has been Imbued by the oil will be easier. Note: Power of the effect will wear down slowly, it is not permanent. Activate the potion and right-click tool you want to imbue. Select "Alchemy > Imbue" from the menu. Examine the imbued tool to see what effect (ranging to 100) does the imbue have.Due to the rarity of these they will be offered for 5s a piece for 90ql and 2.5s for 50ql. We are placing an initial limit of 2 per person (real not per character), you can buy 2 of both quality levels.

HIGHWAY MAP: The official planned highway map on our website was updated last week to include all the so far assigned official highway numbers. So next time someone says take Highway 50 out of town then turn at Highway 25 you'll know what the heck they are talking about. This will get revised and updated as appropriate. One day once the majority of the major highways are in I'll totally redraw it since proposed routes and actual don't always agree and that's ok. ex) Highway 46 is redrew since the completed highway took a different path than the proposed map. The proposed routes did not account for deed placements nor actual terrain so its expected they may end up a bit different in their completed form. To download http://wurm.mwmgamers.com/world.html visit the World page and scroll to the bottom you'll see it on the right.

COMMUNITY ASSISTANTS: Applications for additional community assistants are still open. The form can be found here: https://goo.gl/forms/aO88EqM80cYVwW9C3
This is a volunteer position and can be done while on your regular toon, doing your own things. No special character is required for this position. The short description of the position is a person who assists the community by monitoring the CA HELP and Freedom chat channels. They provide answers to questions to the best of their ability about the game mechanics and the community. Provide links to relevant wiki pages, or forum posts as relevant. Assist the Game Masters with basic player support tasks as able/willing, and responds to or adds notes to support tickets within their scope. At this moment my thoughts are I'm looking for 2 individuals in different time zones but this not set in stone. 8/14 Update - I'd still like to find one more individual to recruit for this if anyone is interested.

CODING PROGRESS: Didn't really work on much in the way of code this past week due to the ongoing Community Bridge Project. I will resume once the project is complete. In other news I've run into a lot of problems with introducing new models in the game. They all show up drunk on their side and the textures are not applying correctly. This isn't a game coding issue but a graphics mesh model issue but still something that's relevant. I have acquired a number of new 3D model assets for use in testing processes and some are assets that I hope to eventually introduce to our world. As a teaser some of these assets might be furniture related.  :o If any of you have experience with DAE aka Collada models please let me know.

RL/OTHER: We have a ton of community projects that need some TLC, and are compensated with payment. From building new highways to leveling existing highways to clear cutting some trees and planting new ones, etc. If you are interested in making some coin please contact me to discuss. Some of these projects are tedious and I'm quite willing on a case by case basis to provide incentives beyond our standard silver payments depending on the amount of work involved. While working on a project materials if you wish can be provided. For example for highways you can provide your own bricks to also help boost your masonry, or we can provide them. For the trees projects we will automatically provide the sprouts because you'll be needing so many.

QUESTS: I'm looking for ideas to develop some of our first quests/missions on the server. If you'd like to pick an idea to me I'm all ears. Quests development in this game is a pain and cumbersome but it is quite versatile. A mission can include multiple stages and triggers. If can involve going to a specific place, performing a certain action, killing something, making something, etc. Just about anything you can do in the game can be turned into a trigger to start/end/move to next stage a quest.

FUN FACT: We have over 1,300 natural beehives on the server right now, and 23 man made ones.

As always if you need support always feel free to open a support ticket in world so that I and the other GM staff know you need assistance. I have the ability to see tickets, and their status even if I'm not in-world to keep tabs on things. Additionally if its something you don't feel is ticket worthy I always welcome PMs here on the forums.
WU - Wurm Unlimited / Test Server Information
« Last post by [MwM] LifesaverM on August 12, 2017, 01:52:33 PM »
All regular players of the Midnight Wurm are welcome to putz around the test server whenever they like. There is rarely any times when ongoing development is locked down and restricted from public access. The main town is called Central City a nice little place but be warned its frequently littered with my current experiments so expect stuff everywhere, lol. If we do need to temporarily restrict access this post will be updated to reflect taht

Some details about the test server:
  • No deed founding costs nor deed upkeep
  • Players inactive from the main servers more than 3 months will have deeds disbanded
  • All skills start at 10
  • Characteristics start at 22 vs normal 20
  • Skill Rate Multiplier of 10
  • Actions Rate Speed 10x normal
  • Please don't build on the island Central City is on
  • Test server runs the Ocrea default "Creative Mode" map
  • This is a Test server so keep in mind things can and will change
  • Creature count is reduced compared to live servers (10k) and only 30% agro to ease movement/work
  • Lastly, please do provide feedback about experimental features. :)

Test Server Current Status: AVAILABLE for use

Ask any CA or GM for the current password.
Tips and Tricks / Keybinding Scripts
« Last post by Incus on August 08, 2017, 11:11:33 AM »
Here I have a set of Keybind scripts that lower the amount of used keys across your keyboard. 

Each script will load a pre-set set of actions dedicated to a set job.

Mining / Digging / Wood / Animals / Foraging / Crops

Each script will rebind "X" and "C" to a new action.  With the added effect of SHIFT+X/C for more actions

Autorun is rebound to "B"

To bring up the standard top menu bar.  Press "SHIFT"  and "CTRL" will bring up more scripts

Here is the full guide: https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/76025-darays-keyboard-guide/

Here is the link to the files: http://github.com/mntnoe/wurm-bindings/archive/master.zip

Extract the contents of the common folder into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\PlayerFiles\configs\default or your own config name.

Greetings Midnight Wurmians,

This is your weekly maintenance and updates report [server patch notes] for the week of Monday, August 7th, 2017.

NEW FEATURES, MODS, FUNCTIONALITY, ETC.:

New Mods & Updates:

No New Mods this week.

AGO's Mod Loader - Server side of the AGO Mod Loader was updated with a small bug fix. Nothing of note from a player's perspective.

Season Helper - The mod the reports on the active and upcoming season has been update. No more "NONE" is in season messages.

Stablemaster - Minor update that includes a better token naming convention, and a couple redemption bugfixes such as redeeming a token underground placing the critter on the surface instead.

Tweaks and Adjustments:

Tree Spread - Trees and bushes have always spread like rabbits and I dare say even close to warranting tribble classification on our server. The rate has never been adjusted we've run it at the default rate. I have slowed the spread rate slightly to make them more balanced and sensible. This wasn't a significant adjustment and it should be noted that this change does not effect tree/bush growth rates only the spread (seeding) rate. Going to monitor this over the next two weeks and review.

Bank Update: A reminder: You can now expand your default 5 slot bank to up to 20 slots. Upgrades can be obtained from http://wurm.mwmgamers.com/store.html, all funds generated from these upgrades automatically go to our server upkeep fund.

IN THE PIPELINE:
Currently we have a number of projects in the pipeline but here's some details on what is close to breaking the surface and becoming a reality within the next 30 days.

A new spell!: I'm removing the status updates on this project until its closer to reality.

Admin Phase 2: I've begun work on the 2nd Phase of our own custom Admin framework and tweaks. This is in a very early stage now, and will post progress once it is available.

Mission Hints: I've begun experimenting with a mod that can help make the locating of the missions' targets a bit easier such as the 'traitors', or say that 1 tree a god wants gone. This also gives us significant controls over how the missions are generated, types, and quite a bit more. I currently have this on the test server, and will report as testing progresses if we are moving forward with it or not. Feedback on this mod would be appreciated.

Paving Tweak: This new mod looks at all the new paving types and considers we like to change things. Well this makes changing paving types a bit easier by allowing you to 'pave over' an existing paved tile rather than having to destroy it first, repack the ground, and pave again. Our group is one of the first to experiment with this bug and one of the few people to help the author bug test. This is currently on the test server, and as above will report as it progresses and if you are moving forward with it. I would very much like feedback on if people want this mod or not. Please reply to this post and state your support for or against it (and why if you can).

Item Move Mod: We experimented with a few mods over the course of time that helped with the moving if items to and from bulk storage containers. Specifically dealing with the issue if bypassing your personal carry weight when transferring items from container to container directly. I've been unimpressed with such offerings in the past and tested them as problematic. However, a trusted modder has released a new mod that is intelligently coded to prevent the issues others have had. It introduces a new action which makes the mod less likely to break when game updates happen. This mod is very new but I'm liking the coding methods. I've moved this to the test server to begin testing today.

GENERAL HOUSEKEEPING ITEMS, RAMBLINGS, ETC.:
MONTHLY RAFFLE: As you should all know as a thank-you for voting for our server https://wurm-unlimited.com/server/2668/ each month I give out a prize to a luck voter. The winner is announced here after the first maintenance of the new month.

GM MERCHANT: - July's limited supply of garden gnomes are still available for 1 silver there are about 10 remaining. The original buy limit of 2 per player is lifted for those wanting an extra 1 or 2 to add to their collections. For August we are featuring "Oil of the Weapon Smith". These potions normally require red dragon blood and source salt to be crafted thus are extremely rare. Improving weapon smithing products using a tool that has been Imbued by the oil will be easier. Note: Power of the effect will wear down slowly, it is not permanent. Activate the potion and right-click tool you want to imbue. Select "Alchemy > Imbue" from the menu. Examine the imbued tool to see what effect (ranging to 100) does the imbue have.Due to the rarity of these they will be offered for 5s a piece for 90ql and 2.5s for 50ql. We are placing an initial limit of 2 per person (real not per character), you can buy 2 of both quality levels.

HIGHWAY MAP: The official planned highway map on our website has been updated to include all the so far assigned official highway numbers. So next time someone says take Highway 50 out of town then turn at Highway 25 you'll know what the heck they are talking about. This will get revised and updated as appropriate. One day once the majority of the major highways are in I'll totally redraw it since proposed routes and actual don't always agree and that's ok. ex) Highway 46 is redrew since the completed highway took a different path than the proposed map. The proposed routes did not account for deed placements nor actual terrain so its expected they may end up a bit different in their completed form. To download http://wurm.mwmgamers.com/world.html visit the World page and scroll to the bottom you'll see it on the right.

COMMUNITY ASSISTANTS: Applications for additional community assistants are still open. The form can be found here: https://goo.gl/forms/aO88EqM80cYVwW9C3
This is a volunteer position and can be done while on your regular toon, doing your own things. No special character is required for this position. The short description of the position is a person who assists the community by monitoring the CA HELP and Freedom chat channels. They provide answers to questions to the best of their ability about the game mechanics and the community. Provide links to relevant wiki pages, or forum posts as relevant. Assist the Game Masters with basic player support tasks as able/willing, and responds to or adds notes to support tickets within their scope. At this moment my thoughts are I'm looking for 2 individuals in different time zones but this not set in stone. I will leave applications open for a few weeks and see what kind of response it generates.

CODING PROGRESS: I have a good working knowledge of how to make items craftable. In testing I have made complex creations that require multiple components. However simple crafted items like say Tool + Raw Item = Finished Item work but are appearing a dozen times in the crafting book. Go figure the complex would be easier to code, lol. I am currently looking into a number of other code areas including titles, achievements, and a bunch of others. The idea here is to introduce unique criteria for our server's use. In other news I've run into a lot of problems with introducing new models in the game. They all show up drunk on their side and the textures are not applying correctly. This isn't a game coding issue but a graphics mesh model issue but still something that's relevant. I have acquired a number of new 3D model assets for use in testing processes and some are assets that I hope to eventually introduce to our world. As a teaser some of these assets might be furniture related.  :o If any of you have experience with DAE aka Collada models please let me know.

RL/OTHER: We have a ton of community projects that need some TLC, and are compensated with payment. From building new highways to leveling existing highways to clear cutting some trees and planting new ones, etc. If you are interested in making some coin please contact me to discuss. Some of these projects are tedious and I'm quite willing on a case by case basis to provide incentives beyond our standard silver payments depending on the amount of work involved. While working on a project materials if you wish can be provided. For example for highways you can provide your own bricks to also help boost your masonry, or we can provide them. For the trees projects we will automatically provide the sprouts because you'll be needing so many.

QUESTS: I'm looking for ideas to develop some of our first quests/missions on the server. If you'd like to pick an idea to me I'm all ears. Quests development in this game is a pain and cumbersome but it is quite versatile. A mission can include multiple stages and triggers. If can involve going to a specific place, performing a certain action, killing something, making something, etc. Just about anything you can do in the game can be turned into a trigger to start/end/move to next stage a quest.

FUN FACT: We have 218 buildings consisting of 4,398 wall sections and 2.979 floor sections on our server.

As always if you need support always feel free to open a support ticket in world so that I and the other GM staff know you need assistance. I have the ability to see tickets, and their status even if I'm not in-world to keep tabs on things. Additionally if its something you don't feel is ticket worthy I always welcome PMs here on the forums.
Cooking / Jumpstarting your Hot Food Cooking Skill
« Last post by DouganIronfist on August 04, 2017, 04:07:08 PM »
With the new cooking system in place, it can be tricky to raise your HFC skill easily.  While my skill is still low (HFC 33.5 as of this post), I have found a relatively painless way to raise the skill that I would like to share to benefit everyone.

This method involves using food items repeatedly to gain maximum skill gain with minimum resources.  The first step is to understand your basic needs.  These are an oven, frying pans (up to 100 fit in an oven so it is your choice how many you use), a knife for chopping and dicing foods, a source of meat (fishing works very well for this for non hunters as catfish yields many filets with large catches) and vegetables.

To maximize your skill gain, you should use sleep bonus (SB) when cooking.  To make the most of your SB, use as many frying pans as your sanity allows you to use.

The first step is to prep all your food items.  Get an equal number of meat and vegetables to match your frying pans, so if you made 20 frying pans, get out 20 pieces of meat and 20 vegetables of any type (backpacks make this part easier).  Dice all the meat or chop them if they are fish filets, then chop all the veggies.  Next put one meat into each of the frying pans.  Light your oven and add fuel.  Wait until your frying pans turn hot to turn on your SB.  Now watch the contents of the frying pans.  Once a piece of meat turns to fried meat, remove it and put it into a backpack and put a chopped veggie into the frying pan.  Once that veggie turns into a fried veggie, add one of the previously fried meats to the frying pan.  When this cooks it will turn into a meal.  Once all the meals are cooked, you can turn off your SB.  You can eat the meals, feed them to pigs or sell them to your token for some extra coins.  Your choice there.

What does this method do for your skills?  First dicing meat or chopping fish filets gives you butchering skill.  Chopping veggies increases your base cooking skill.  With a higher cooking skill, your chopped veggies will eventually be a slightly higher QL than the raw vegetable was.  Next, frying the individual items first before making your meals gives your the best skill gain for your SB, time and resources.  The hard reality is that most of your skill gain for HFC will be from frying the meats and veggies and not actually making meals until your HFC skills gets closer to 50.

Once you start making QL 30+ meals, those meals will fill your food bar much quicker than low QL food items.  With QL 31 meals, I usually eat less than 1 kg of meals to fill my food bar from about 50% full.

Another item to note with cooking is the item you eat has different affects on your bars.  Breakfasts made with 10+ items will fill your CCFP bars faster than your food bar, so you will eat a lot more breakfast to fill up.  Meals on the other hand will fill your food bar faster than your CCFP bars.  What I usually do is create a breakfast or two along with 10-12 small meals.  I eat the breakfast for a second or two to fill my CCFP bars, then eat meals to fill my food bars.  If you guys didn't know this already, always dice your meats, chop your fish filets, chop your veggies and herbs and grind your spices.  This step greatly impacts the effectiveness of your foods.

I hope this helps some of you guys to level up you HFC skill easier.  If you have questions, please post them here or chat with me in game.

- Dougan Ironfist
WU - Wurm Unlimited / Re: Current Events Schedule
« Last post by [MwM] LifesaverM on August 03, 2017, 03:59:14 PM »
PAST EVENTS
Listed here for historical sake, and to give you an idea of some of the things we have done.

JULY

July 23rd, Sunday @ 7PM ET, 6PM CT, 5PM MT, 4PM PT, Monday 9AM AET
Monthly War-Hour Event

Join us for one of our international community's favorite events War-Hour! It will take place in its usual location the Paladins' Sparring Arena in Twilight's Edge (starter town). Please park all carts in the nearby parking lot, do not bring them into the arena. There is a staging area on the north side were you can drop containers for meds etc. If you are not bringing anything other than what is on your person or you are running late taxi service will be provided.

So what is War-Hour? The GM Staff will randomly spawn things! What kind of things you ask? Well things to mass murder of course! Sometimes it may be 1 or 2 'things' at a time, or maybe the GM spawns a dozen or two of some 'things' accidentally *wink wink* on the crowd, who knows 'things' just happen at War-Hour. Things to kill, things to take home with you, it's simply an event about things. *devious grin*

You are encouraged to bring medical supplies. Sometimes magical mysterious healings are known to happen during these War-Hours but as they say better safe than sorry. If you are brand new and have no supplies please be sure to mention it to the gaggle of participants. They are generally a sharing bunch, and friendly as long as they have been feed recently. This is an event designed for all to participate both those joining the server for the first time 5 minutes ago to our seasoned players.

July 29th, Saturday @ 8PM ET, 7PM CT, 6PM MT, 5PM PT, Sunday 10AM AET
Mystery Event

Details unavailable at this time.

Marketplace / Re: WTB Mine Support Beams
« Last post by DouganIronfist on August 03, 2017, 10:49:59 AM »
Still looking for 600 more supports if anyone needs some extra silver! Tell me know in game please.  Thanks!
Tips and Tricks / Farming - What you should know
« Last post by [MwM] LifesaverM on August 01, 2017, 08:21:05 PM »
First there are two important wiki pages you should first review.

Once you understand farming you will know that different crops have different difficulty ratings. These ratings determine a number of things such as if you will earn a skill up at your skill level for farming this crop and the yield of the harvest. Below is a table of the crop difficulty levels accurate as of the data of the last update of this post. Please keep in mind these are difficulty ratings not skill value.

Barley       - 20
Wheat        - 30
Rye          - 10
Oat          - 15
Corn         - 40
Pumpkin      - 15
Potato       - 4
Cotton       - 7
Wemp         - 10
Garlic       - 70
Onion        - 60
Reed         - 20
Rice         - 80
Strawberries - 60
Carrots      - 25
Cabbage      - 35
Tomato       - 45
Sugar Beet   - 85
Lettuce      - 55
Peas         - 65
Cucumber     - 15

Sorry for the wonky alignment I'll move this into a table at some point.

While this next bit isn't directly about farming it makes sense to live here at this point. Some interesting facts about Foraging/Botanizing:

When determining what you might get from completing the F/B actions the game take several things into consideration. Each of these factors below directly effects the "loot table", and each of these have different chances for herbs to drop and quantities. In other words each of these have completely separate loot tables, so experiment and have fun.

• Grass Height (All stages of growth factored: Short, Medium, High, Wild)
  • Tree Tiles (All stages of base tile's growth factored, tree age does not)
  • Bush Tiles (All stages of base tile's growth factored, bush age does not)
  • Marsh Tiles
  • Moss Tiles
  • Peat Tiles
  • Steppe Tiles
  • Tundra Tiles (Foraging Only)
Forgot to include some stuff in addition to my coding work I'm also working on some new textures for existing objects. Terrain in particular has been a subject I've wanted to tackle for a while. I plan to replace the primary dirt texture, packed dirt, the base layer grass, tundra, and gravel. Additionally the fall textures for the dirt textures, and grass to match the new textures once complete. I've also considered adding a 4th cobblestone to the game. Here's a preview of what some of them are looking like so far:

Dirt (packed left where flags are and normal dirt right)

Gravel

Current Loom and Spinning Wheel

New Loom and Spinning Wheel
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10