News: We are avid fans of RPG, MMOs, and Space related games. However the occassion FPS is always a "blast".

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: September 4, 2017 - Weekly Maintenance and Updates Report  (Read 97 times)

[MwM] LifesaverM

• [MwM] Clan Leader
  • Fast Talker
  • [MwM] Clan Leader
    • View Profile
September 4, 2017 - Weekly Maintenance and Updates Report
« on: September 04, 2017, 09:56:22 AM »
Greetings Midnight Wurmians,

This is your weekly maintenance and updates report [server patch notes] for the week of Monday, September 4th, 2017.

NEW FEATURES, MODS, FUNCTIONALITY, ETC.:

New Mods & Updates:

New Content!!!: So as many of you know I have been working for some time making sense of the game code and coding new material for us to enjoy. We are at a place now where the first Phase is ready for release and over the next several weeks each week you will be getting new content. The first wave is a new twist on existing content aka additional textures and options. The next wave which I hope will be ready in about a month will feature completely new content not found ANYWHERE else. So onward! This week I am releasing 14 additional banner options. What I've done is make the banners for all 4 of the major kingdoms craftable and added all of WO's PMKs (player made kingdoms) banners. So just like last week's release of the additional flags: To craft them you'll see them under the flags category in your crafting recipes book (Press N). Enjoy! Now you no longer have to display the flags & banners everyone else has.

This is what you have to look forward to for our current release cycle: Next week will introduce the 13 additional tall banners (one pmk didn't have one). Then we'll see the tents, wagons, and finally tabards. So for the next several weeks you will continue to be enjoying new content each week. Here is an overview of what the additional options look like since many of you will not be familiar with the other kingdoms. I will figure out an appropriate place to have more detailed information and pictures to help you preview the material sometime this week (sorry didn't get it up last week). Meanwhile they are all on display in main city of the test server. If you do not have the password ask any CA or GM. Test server is available to all players that have been around for more than 3 days. Lastly, we are working on new art that is specific to the "Realm of the Celestial Paladins" it will be some time before this gets released and will be released separate from everything else being released. But we will let you know when its coming. The art will be released in the form of a flag, banner, tall banner, wagon, tabard and more.

Item Move Mod: A reminder we released the new Bulk Items Move Mod two weeks ago. A number of folks haven't noticed it yet so I'll leave this reminder up another week. It works like this:
  • Activate your hand - "Press C and double click the hand icon"
  • Open the container you want to move items out of, right click the item and select "Mark-take"
  • Right click the container (don't open) you want to move the item to and select "Move items"
From the time you click mark-take you have 30seconds to move the items before the action times out. The process has an approximate 10 second action timer. This is done for both realism and to prevent lag.

*No Updated Mods this week.

Tweaks and Adjustments:

Web Map Viewer - We released a new web map viewer engine two weeks ago. A reminder our map URL has not changed. http://gs1.mwmgamers.org/map/ However, some folks may not like this new map so I've leaving the old viewer tool online. The URL for the old map style is: http://gs1.mwmgamers.org/oldmap/ The old map  will now only update once per RL calendar day. I plan to continue to let it run indefinitely since at this point its now using minimal resources. If I see it gets no use for an extended period of time I would consider shutting it down then.

Armorsmithing We did an experiment to potentially boost the gain rate of armor smithing however tests proved it went too far, so it was scaled back to normal (normal 2x like everything else still applies).

IN THE PIPELINE:
Currently we have a number of projects in the pipeline but here's some details on what is close to breaking the surface and becoming a reality within the next 30 days.

More Potables: A mod author this past week released a mod that will save me coding work. One of the things I've had on the roadmap is making some more things be plantable in the planters. Additionally this is a big help for long term development because I plan to introduce new plants and some new recipes! To quote a favorite Star Trek: Voyager quote of mine by Capt. Janeway: "There be COFFEE in that nebula!" I love tea but the server requires coffee plain and simple haha. So anyhow I've moved this mod to the test server to begin working with it and running it through the paces. Except this to be released if all goes well by month's end.

Mission Hints: I've begun experimenting with a mod that can help make the locating of the missions' targets a bit easier such as the 'traitors', or say that 1 tree a god wants gone. This also gives us significant controls over how the missions are generated, types, and quite a bit more. I currently have this on the test server, and will report as testing progresses if we are moving forward with it or not. Feedback on this mod would be appreciated. 8/14 Update - Testing has gone well, still have some more to do but this mod also gives us a bit more control over the generation of missions which I'm very interested it. 9/4 Update - I'm really liking this mod because beside the benefit to the players it provides the admins with the ability to have more range of options and control of the types of missions that spawn and their criteria. Not ready to release this just yet as I haven't had enough time to fully run in through the grinder but this will move likely end up on our live server by month's end.

A new spell!: I'm removing the status updates on this project until its closer to reality. Status: On hold

Admin Phase 2: 8/14 Update - A few weeks ago we partnered with another developer on this project so that other server operators will be able to take advantage of project. We've already laid out a development plan and have begun work. 

GENERAL HOUSEKEEPING ITEMS, RAMBLINGS, ETC.:
MONTHLY RAFFLE: As you should all know as a thank-you for voting for our server https://wurm-unlimited.com/server/2668/ each month I give out a prize to a luck voter. The winner is announced here after the first maintenance of the new month. So August has come and gone where is this year going!

August's Raffle Winner is:

Bigdreamer

Now that we have a lot more activity going on I'm also reintroducing 2 categories so that things aren't dominated. The everyone category and the 15 votes and up category. Once the 15+ winner is selected the are then excluded from the everyone category for that month.

August's secondary winner is: AsternOyster

PLAYER SURVEY: We are at a stage of rapid development cycle, we are seeing an influx of new players both from discovering us for the first time, and returning players. Some of this is the result of 2 very well known community server operators shutting down this month. We plan to be around for YEARS, and while I know others make this claim this server was setup in such a way to ensure its longevity. Your opinion counts and if you haven't seen the in world alerts already I would encourage you to please take a few minutes of your time 5 to 10 minutes worth and take our current survey. http://bit.ly/2w6k9u3 The survey will close on September 10th. Thank-you to the 24 people who have already completed it. My appreciation.

GM MERCHANT: - For September we are featuring "Ointment of Stonecutting". With all the crazy construction projects everyone is doing this would be perfect timing, and I have something exciting planned for the next 3 months already! These potions normally require troll king blood and source salt to be crafted thus are extremely rare. Improving armor smithing products using a tool that has been Imbued by the oil will be easier. Note: Power of the effect will wear down slowly, it is not permanent. Activate the potion and right-click tool you want to imbue. Select "Alchemy > Imbue" from the menu. Examine the imbued tool to see what effect (ranging to 100) does the imbue have.Due to the rarity of these they will be offered for 5s a piece for 90ql and 2.5s for 50ql. Please 2 potions of each per player buy limit. All other items still remaining on the merchant from previous specials have no buy limits.

PUBLIC TRADERS: To recap my note from last week... While I understand players can not see how much money is on a trader and could easily end up draining one you should stop there and not attempt to drain multiple traders. This creates a bunch of work for me, because its not a matter of just clicking a button and they magically have more money. Certain trade ratios need to be maintained (search Wurmpedia for Traders for details) to keep them working in an optimal condition. Additionally I allocate only a certain amount of fresh currency to be introduced into our economy per month as to not over saturate. When the traders are drained then I have to poof more money into existence so others have an opportunity to make coin for their deeds and usage, which goes against the monthly injection of fresh currency. Please be considerate of your fellow community, I would rather not have to write an actual rule on the subject. We are capable of self-policing ourselves I would hope.

COMMUNITY ASSISTANTS: Applications for additional community assistants are still open. The form can be found here: https://goo.gl/forms/aO88EqM80cYVwW9C3
This is a volunteer position and can be done while on your regular toon, doing your own things. No special character is required for this position. The short description of the position is a person who assists the community by monitoring the CA HELP and Freedom chat channels. They provide answers to questions to the best of their ability about the game mechanics and the community. Provide links to relevant wiki pages, or forum posts as relevant. Assist the Game Masters with basic player support tasks as able/willing, and responds to or adds notes to support tickets within their scope. At this moment my thoughts are I'm looking for 1 or 2 more individuals in either the Eastern Europe / Oceanic region or the Americas region. However anyone should feel free to apply.

Governor's Flagship: Many of you have seen the bluish shining caravel that sits on the Northern dock of Twilight. I'm pleased to say its more than just a decoration. If you happen to see this big glimmering vessel pass by you, PM Gmlife. Why you ask? Because this means a special unannounced mini-event is running. Those that notice and PM me while I'm sailing around in the ship will receive a prize. Well I live in land so... that means I will get excluded!?! Nope you sure aren't. One of the nice things about GM mode is ships...well they aren't just for water to us. Which means you may just see the flagship sailing along randomly around the map, or along a highway, going up a mountain, or on the open water. So keep your eyes a lookin' as you never know when you might see me "floating" around.  :o 8) ;D

RL/OTHER: We have a ton of community projects that need some TLC, and are compensated with payment. From building new highways to leveling existing highways to clear cutting some trees and planting new ones, etc. If you are interested in making some coin please contact me to discuss. Some of these projects are tedious and I'm quite willing on a case by case basis to provide incentives beyond our standard silver payments depending on the amount of work involved. While working on a project materials if you wish can be provided. For example for highways you can provide your own bricks to also help boost your masonry, or we can provide them. For the trees projects we will automatically provide the sprouts because you'll be needing so many.

FUN FACT: There are currently 86 pregnant critters and 714 creepy spiders on the server.

As always if you need support always feel free to open a support ticket in world so that your GM team can track your request and respond in a timely manner.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 03:01:52 PM by [MwM] LifesaverM »
[MwM] LifesaverM
Clan Leader & Grand Pumba of Peachiness
--=Light for the Lost=--
Midnight Wurm: Gmlife (GM), Maintenance (GM), Lifesaverm, Litha