Greetings Midnight Wurmians,
This is your weekly maintenance and updates report [server patch notes] for the week of Monday, August 21st, 2017.NEW FEATURES, MODS, FUNCTIONALITY, ETC.:New Mods & Updates
: Item Move Mod
: We experimented with a few mods over the course of time that helped with the moving if items to and from bulk storage containers. Specifically dealing with the issue of bypassing your personal carry weight when transferring items from container to container directly. I've been unimpressed with such offerings in the past and tested them as problematic. However, a trusted modder has released a new mod that is intelligently coded to prevent the issues others have had. It introduces a new action which makes the mod less likely to break when game updates happen. It is now live and works like this:
- Activate your hand - "Press C and double click the hand icon"
- Open the container you want to move items out of, right click the item and select "Mark-take"
- Right click the container (don't open) you want to move the item to and select "Move items"
From the time you click mark-take you have 30seconds to move the items before the action times out. The process has an approximate 10 second action timer. This is done for both realism and to prevent lag.
No Updated Mods this week.Tweaks and Adjustments
- Trees and bushes have always spread like rabbits and I dare say even close to warranting tribble classification on our server. The rate has never been adjusted we've run it at the default rate. I have slowed the spread rate slightly to make them more balanced and sensible. This wasn't a significant adjustment and it should be noted that this change does not effect tree/bush growth rates only the spread (seeding) rate. Going to monitor this over the next two weeks and review. 8/14 Update
- Current spread is looking a lot better at the tweaked rate. This week I'm slowing it again just slightly, just to collect more data. I have a feeling the rate we've used this past week will be right choice but just want to see. 8/21 Update
- Well the 2nd new rate that was chosen for this last week's test is actually quite good. For now I'm going to leave it here and monitor for a few weeks.Web Map Viewer
- The map viewer we use on our website as a project was abandoned quite some time ago when the developer went off the grid. It's been a full year now. This has presented issues as new content is developed for the game the code for this tool is not in step. For example after the new crops, and paving types were added they appeared as black dots on the map. Another developer kindly stepped in to make some necessary code changes to get it up to speed but there is no guarantee this project will receive any further attention. While Jonneh developed a great tool for the community and this is used by almost every major server operator out there with a few exceptions I feel there needs to be a next step. There are a few other map options but they are poor choices in my opinion. One of my frustrations has always been I wand more information display options. The developer we are working with on the Admin Project has developed a new tool from the ground up and I'm very excited about it. We've been working with and testing this new application for a number of weeks and are at a stage where I'm pleased to now announce it is now live
. Our map URL has not changed. http://gs1.mwmgamers.org/map/
However, some folks may not like this new map so I've leaving the old viewer tool online for now. The URL for the old map style is: http://gs1.mwmgamers.org/oldmap/
For the next week it will continue to update hourly like it always has, next week during maintenance I will be changing it to update only daily to reduce load.
The preview doesn't show you the new tooltip display but is a good teaser.Bank Update
: A reminder: You can now expand your default 5 slot bank to up to 20 slots. Upgrades can be obtained from http://wurm.mwmgamers.com/store.html
, all funds generated from these upgrades automatically go to our server upkeep fund.IN THE PIPELINE:
Currently we have a number of projects in the pipeline but here's some details on what is close to breaking the surface and becoming a reality within the next 30 days. A new spell!
: I'm removing the status updates on this project until its closer to reality. Admin Phase 2
: 8/14 Update - A few weeks ago we partnered with another developer on this project so that other server operators will be able to take advantage of project. We've already laid out a development plan and have begun work. Mission Hints
: I've begun experimenting with a mod that can help make the locating of the missions' targets a bit easier such as the 'traitors', or say that 1 tree a god wants gone. This also gives us significant controls over how the missions are generated, types, and quite a bit more. I currently have this on the test server, and will report as testing progresses if we are moving forward with it or not. Feedback on this mod would be appreciated.
8/14 Update - Testing has gone well, still have some more to do but this mod also gives us a bit more control over the generation of missions which I'm very interested it. Should have more to report on by next week. GENERAL HOUSEKEEPING ITEMS, RAMBLINGS, ETC.:MONTHLY RAFFLE:
As you should all know as a thank-you for voting for our server https://wurm-unlimited.com/server/2668/
each month I give out a prize to a luck voter. The winner is announced here after the first maintenance of the new month.GM MERCHANT:
- July's limited supply of garden gnomes are still available for 1 silver there are about 10 remaining. No buy limit for the remaining gnomes. For August we are featuring "Oil of the Weapon Smith". These potions normally require red dragon blood and source salt to be crafted thus are extremely rare. Improving weapon smithing products using a tool that has been Imbued by the oil will be easier. Note: Power of the effect will wear down slowly, it is not permanent. Activate the potion and right-click tool you want to imbue. Select "Alchemy > Imbue" from the menu. Examine the imbued tool to see what effect (ranging to 100) does the imbue have.Due to the rarity of these they will be offered for 5s a piece for 90ql and 2.5s for 50ql. We are placing an initial limit of 2 per person (real not per character), you can buy 2 of both quality levels.HIGHWAY MAP
: The official planned highway map on our website was updated earlier this month to include all the so far assigned official highway numbers. So next time someone says take Highway 50 out of town then turn at Highway 25 you'll know what the heck they are talking about. This will get revised and updated as appropriate. One day once the majority of the major highways are in I'll totally redraw it since proposed routes and actual don't always agree and that's ok. ex) Highway 46 is redrew since the completed highway took a different path than the proposed map. The proposed routes did not account for deed placements nor actual terrain so its expected they may end up a bit different in their completed form. To download http://wurm.mwmgamers.com/world.html
visit the World page and scroll to the bottom you'll see it on the right.COMMUNITY ASSISTANTS:
Applications for additional community assistants are still open. The form can be found here: https://goo.gl/forms/aO88EqM80cYVwW9C3
This is a volunteer position and can be done while on your regular toon, doing your own things. No special character is required for this position. The short description of the position is a person who assists the community by monitoring the CA HELP and Freedom chat channels. They provide answers to questions to the best of their ability about the game mechanics and the community. Provide links to relevant wiki pages, or forum posts as relevant. Assist the Game Masters with basic player support tasks as able/willing, and responds to or adds notes to support tickets within their scope. At this moment my thoughts are I'm looking for 2 individuals in different time zones but this not set in stone. 8/14 Update - I'd still like to find one more individual to recruit for this if anyone is interested.CODING PROGRESS:
Didn't really work on much in the way of code this past week due to the ongoing Community Bridge Project, and preparing for 2 big exams. In other news I've run into a lot of problems with introducing new models in the game. They all show up drunk on their side and the textures are not applying correctly. This isn't a game coding issue but a graphics mesh model issue but still something that's relevant. I have acquired a number of new 3D model assets for use in testing processes and some are assets that I hope to eventually introduce to our world. As a teaser some of these assets might be furniture related.
8/21 Update - A kind soul has stepped up to attempt to assist me with the models issue, I'll update our progress as we go.RL/OTHER:
We have a ton
of community projects that need some TLC, and are compensated with payment. From building new highways to leveling existing highways to clear cutting some trees and planting new ones, etc. If you are interested in making some coin please contact me to discuss. Some of these projects are tedious and I'm quite willing on a case by case basis to provide incentives beyond our standard silver payments depending on the amount of work involved. While working on a project materials if you wish can be provided. For example for highways you can provide your own bricks to also help boost your masonry, or we can provide them. For the trees projects we will automatically provide the sprouts because you'll be needing so many.FUN FACT:
Cotton is currently the most planted crop coming in at 1,182 tiles. Followed by 499 wemp fields, 445 garlic, 412 pumpkin, and 322 potato. All other crop types have less than 200. Guess we still like our traditional crops, hehe.
As always if you need support always feel free to open a support ticket in world so that I and the other GM staff know you need assistance. I have the ability to see tickets, and their status even if I'm not in-world to keep tabs on things. Additionally if its something you don't feel is ticket worthy I always welcome PMs here on the forums.