News: We are avid fans of RPG, MMOs, and Space related games. However the occassion FPS is always a "blast".

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: July 31, 2017 - Weekly Maintenance and Updates Report  (Read 112 times)

[MwM] LifesaverM

• [MwM] Clan Leader
  • Fast Talker
  • [MwM] Clan Leader
    • View Profile
July 31, 2017 - Weekly Maintenance and Updates Report
« on: July 31, 2017, 09:04:14 AM »
Greetings Midnight Wurmians,

This is your weekly maintenance and updates report [server patch notes] for the week of Monday, July 24th, 2017.

NEW FEATURES, MODS, FUNCTIONALITY, ETC.:

New Mod:

No New Mods this week.

Mod Updates:

AUTOALERTS - An update was moved from the test server to our live production server today with a bugfix and new feature update on the newer mod we installed recently to manage in game announcements better.

Bank Update: The bank upgrades became finally available to purchase two weeks ago. You can now expand your default 5 slot bank to up to 20 slots. Upgrades can be obtained from http://wurm.mwmgamers.com/store.html, all funds generated from these upgrades automatically go to our server upkeep fund.

IN THE PIPELINE:
Currently we have a number of projects in the pipeline but here's some details on what is close to breaking the surface and becoming a reality within the next 30 days.

A new spell!: Our twin gods Stjerna and Stjarna are both getting a new custom spell. This spell will allow the caster to reduce the number of days an animal 'bakes' in their mother's oven before being born. Priests of Stjerna or Stjarna with a minimum of 60 Faith will be able to cast this spell, similarly compared w/ Fo's Genesis spell. We are still experimenting on the favor required, cooldown, and difficulty levels that the spell will be configured for. Update: The mod author has unfortunately gotten tied up in RL and is unable to assist at this time. I have resumed work on this myself. Unfortunately this has thrown the release time table out the window but progress is being made none-the-less. I have a couple working theories I'm exploring and am pretty hopeful I'll have something to report back soon. 5/29 - I've figured some things out this week, and work is progressing pretty well I'd say. 6/5 - I have the spell basically coded correctly now, and will begin testing on the test server. There is one bug with overall gestation times this introduces I need to figure out and looks like we'll finally be able to make this a reality. 6/26 - Ready for next round of testing. 7/3 - Testing went much better this version. If all goes well might be able to release this next week. 7/17 - The coder that originally built the basis for this is available again. I've delayed release so he can review my work to ensure this isn't going to backfire in my face. Spells are a pain. \o/

Admin Phase 2: I've begun work on the 2nd Phase of our own custom Admin framework and tweaks. This is in a very early stage now, and will post progress once it is available.

Mission Hints: I've begun experimenting with a mod that can help make the locating of the missions' targets a bit easier such as the 'traitors', or say that 1 tree a god wants gone. This also gives us significant controls over how the missions are generated, types, and quite a bit more. I currently have this on the test server, and will report as testing progresses if we are moving forward with it or not. Feedback on this mod would be appreciated.

Paving Tweak: This new mod looks at all the new paving types and considers we like to change things. Well this makes changing paving types a bit easier by allowing you to 'pave over' an existing paved tile rather than having to destroy it first, repack the ground, and pave again. Our group is one of the first to experiment with this bug and one of the few people to help the author bug test. This is currently on the test server, and as above will report as it progresses and if you are moving forward with it. I would very much like feedback on if people want this mod or not. Please reply to this post and state your support for or against it (and why if you can).

GENERAL HOUSEKEEPING ITEMS, RAMBLINGS, ETC.:
MONTHLY RAFFLE: As you should all know as a thank-you for voting for our server https://wurm-unlimited.com/server/2668/ each month I give out a prize to a luck voter. The winner is announced here after the first maintenance of the new month.

Top 5 Voters for the Month of July were: DouganIronfist, LordSuicide, LifesaverM, Devvon, Manic (ingame?)
We had a few first time voters this month. Thank-you you rock! We are well poised to take a Top 10 spot back during August. I am personally bad about remembering to vote and want to work on that it really only takes less than a minute of your time. This month's winner just so happened to random roll on our top voter, who will receive a set of 80ql horseshoes and a set of 5 sleeping powders.

DouganIronfist

GM MERCHANT: - The GM merchant was refreshed two weeks ago with new fireworks being offered for only 10 copper. Additionally a limited supply of garden gnomes was added for a price of 1 silver due to their un-craftable and limited offering nature. Please don't be a hog and buy them all. I would prefer to say limit 2 per player but I have no way to control this, so its the honor system. I'm going to experiment with offering 'some' hard to obtain items with a new limited release each month. The same item will not be repeated for a minimum of 6 months so get one when you can. We'll see how this goes and re-evaluate if needed. 7/31 UPDATE - There is still about 10 left and the limit of 2 per player has now been lifted since we are at the end of the month. If you desire to grab another 1 or 2 gnomes you are free to do so.

BEAUTIFICATION: Completed the cleanup and a touch of beautification around the white altar.

COMMUNITY ASSISTANTS: Applications for additional community assistants are still open. The form can be found here: https://goo.gl/forms/aO88EqM80cYVwW9C3
This is a volunteer position and can be done while on your regular toon, doing your own things. No special character is required for this position. The short description of the position is a person who assists the community by monitoring the CA HELP and Freedom chat channels. They provide answers to questions to the best of their ability about the game mechanics and the community. Provide links to relevant wiki pages, or forum posts as relevant. Assist the Game Masters with basic player support tasks as able/willing, and responds to or adds notes to support tickets within their scope. At this moment my thoughts are I'm looking for 2 individuals in different time zones but this not set in stone. I will leave applications open for a few weeks and see what kind of response it generates.

CODING PROGRESS: I guess this past week was just the week for light bulbs to go off. I had more eureka light bulb moments in the game code this week than I've had in months. It was like some things just started to make more sense. \o/  One of the biggest revelations this week was how to finally edit properties of existing items and add new items to the game. I now have custom code framework in place for us in several places in the game code so as new updates come to the game I only have to edit a couple lines of code in their files and all my custom work get injected back in. So rather than having to edit tons of code it will be very minor so it will not take tons of my time every time a new official patch come out and overwrites my edits. At some point I may try to make all my code with with AGO's Mod Loader and turn them into packaged mods but for now its not a priority yet.

My next task is to understand the crafting system and figure out how to define the components that go into an item. I have figured out how to flag something as craftable but am missing the component part yet. Once I have that I'll be able to move forward on some custom content projects that have been sitting on the back burner. I'll keep you all posted on my progress!

RL/OTHER: We have a ton of community projects that need some TLC, and are compensated with payment. From building new highways to leveling existing highways to clear cutting some trees and planting new ones, etc. If you are interested in making some coin please contact me to discuss. Some of these projects are tedious and I'm willing on a case by case basis to provide incentives beyond our standard silver payments depending on the amount of work involved. While working on a project materials if you wish can be provided. For example for highways you can provide your own bricks to also help boost your masonry, or we can provide them. For the trees projects we will automatically provide the sprouts because you'll be needing so many.

FUN FACT: We have 398 doors and 590 gates on our server.

As always if you need support always feel free to open a support ticket in world so that I and the other GM staff know you need assistance. I have the ability to see tickets, and their status even if I'm not in-world to keep tabs on things. Additionally if its something you don't feel is ticket worthy I always welcome PMs here on the forums.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:00:33 PM by [MwM] LifesaverM »
[MwM] LifesaverM
Clan Leader & Grand Pumba of Peachiness
--=Light for the Lost=--
Midnight Wurm: Gmlife (GM), Maintenance (GM), Lifesaverm, Litha

[MwM] LifesaverM

• [MwM] Clan Leader
  • Fast Talker
  • [MwM] Clan Leader
    • View Profile
Re: July 31, 2017 - Weekly Maintenance and Updates Report
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 10:58:59 AM »
Forgot to include some stuff in addition to my coding work I'm also working on some new textures for existing objects. Terrain in particular has been a subject I've wanted to tackle for a while. I plan to replace the primary dirt texture, packed dirt, the base layer grass, tundra, and gravel. Additionally the fall textures for the dirt textures, and grass to match the new textures once complete. I've also considered adding a 4th cobblestone to the game. Here's a preview of what some of them are looking like so far:

Dirt (packed left where flags are and normal dirt right)

Gravel

Current Loom and Spinning Wheel

New Loom and Spinning Wheel
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 11:01:21 AM by [MwM] LifesaverM »
[MwM] LifesaverM
Clan Leader & Grand Pumba of Peachiness
--=Light for the Lost=--
Midnight Wurm: Gmlife (GM), Maintenance (GM), Lifesaverm, Litha