News: In MwM's currently officially supports Rust and Wurm Unlimited.

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: [Resolved] Server Outage & July 10th Weekly Report (Combined)  (Read 183 times)

[MwM] LifesaverM

• [MwM] Clan Leader
  • Fast Talker
  • [MwM] Clan Leader
    • View Profile
Around 10PM GMT-4 US Eastern time, I took down the server to perform the upgrade to 1.4.0.1.

Upgrade looked peachy but there were issues once it was up and testing.

At the time of this writing the server is still not back online almost 7 hours later. I have a forum post on the Wurm forums as a reference.

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/155918-server-issue-after-applying-1401-patch/

I've never run into an issue like this before. Since there were no issues on the beta version 1.4.0.0 that I could see I did a database backup before the upgrade but didn't backup the entire folder so rolling back isn't going to be easy now. I normally don't do that when doing an upgrade and am really kicking myself. I can dig back in the backups to find the right file versions I think but I should have been in bed hours ago and I absolutely can't think straight to continue this further tonight.

Course rolling back would be a temp fix at best because well we can stay there forever and would prevent any new folks from joining. So I'm stuck at the moment. I'll come back at this after a couple hours of sleep and see if a fresh brain and some coffee and tackle the issue further. This is unfortunately the first outage we have experienced since we went online 8 months ago (outside of the normal 1 hour maintenance windows).

Where there is a will there is a way.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:18:19 AM by [MwM] LifesaverM »
[MwM] LifesaverM
Clan Leader & Grand Pumba of Peachiness
--=Light for the Lost=--
Midnight Wurm: Gmlife (GM), Maintenance (GM), Lifesaverm, Litha

[MwM] LifesaverM

• [MwM] Clan Leader
  • Fast Talker
  • [MwM] Clan Leader
    • View Profile
Re: [Resolved] Server Outage
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 11:15:37 AM »
Well what a wild ride. The mods that were kicking errors were actually NOT the problems. I mean logically you would think mod "a" writes errors. You disable mod "a" everything should work right? WRONG!

So basically the story is mod "A" and mod "B" were kicking errors, but in reality it was mod "S" and "T". So the two mods that are currently disabled are our deed upkeep mod and one of our management mods. Hence how turning mods off and on one by one last night was meet with fail.

Both are important and real bummers to be broken but at least I know what was broken. The management mod was a great tool for a number of things to help me including the ability to see tickets outside of the game. Obviously that gave me a great ability to see if folks have issues without even having to be in world, at my desk, at home, etc. I could *gasp* check tickets from my phone from anywhere. Oh well hopefully either I can find the code that no longer works with this version or track down the mod author who is unfortunately only semi-active.

The deed upkeep mod being disabled means in part the free 121 tiles we give our players is well no longer free currently. This effects when you are setting up a deed and I believe will also effect the recurring upkeep for those tiles as well (though this needs testing).

I plan to do another maintenance window later this week so I can roll out some things I have been working on that were originally going to go live during today's maintenance window. Once I nail down the day I will post the news both in world and here on the forums.

Thank-you all for your patience and understanding.
[MwM] LifesaverM
Clan Leader & Grand Pumba of Peachiness
--=Light for the Lost=--
Midnight Wurm: Gmlife (GM), Maintenance (GM), Lifesaverm, Litha

DouganIronfist

• Whispering Bystander
    • View Profile
Re: [Resolved] Server Outage
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 12:39:44 PM »
Thanks for the hard work Life!  My priest can mine and dig again.  yay!